I thought this was neat! Hillary is going through some old letters of Grandpa Gelder and typing them up. She's sent me a few snippits that are quite fun, but this one touched me especially:
14 May 1983
"Mother and I have been thinking that we ought to start developing a family tradition of reunions. If we are going to be together for eternity, we want to have fun together now, and also to prepare our family for eternity. It won’t be long before we will be spreading out to the four winds, and if we don’t get some traditions started now, it will be hard to get them later."
I don't think at that time he knew how spread out our families would become. But I think we have done a fairly good job of being as close as possible, in heart if not geographically. I think we have a lot of good memories and more to come. What a great thing to know that we are fulfilling one of their wishes. And what motivation to keep going. 2011 here we come.
Thursday, June 24, 2010
From Grandpa
Posted by Sarah at 1:19 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
What a sweet find. I'm so glad Hillary is undertaking that project, and that you, Sarah, have taken the time in your already busy schedule to plan these reunions.
That is a neat comment from Grandpa Gelder, and a good reason to plan the reunions. I am so glad we are doing this, and am looking forward to next summer! Love, T
Post a Comment